Chicken and Bean Layer
This is from The Dairy Book of British Food, which Chris gave me years ago. It is different and delicious.
- 1/4 cup butter (use real butter)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3-4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (gives it a mild, but nice kick)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cooked (snap off the ends and heat in simmering water until just tender, 10-12 minutes or so) OR use 2 cans cut green beans, drained
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, torn into bite-size pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 6 or 7 dried apricots, cut in half with scissors
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Make a white sauce with the butter, flour and milk (melt butter in a sauce pan, add flour and cook for at least 1 minute, stirring constantly; add milk all at once and continue cooking and stirring until sauce is smooth and thickened). Remove from heat and add cheese, mustard and peppers; stir until cheese is melted. Layer green beans, chicken pieces, apricots and sauce in an ovenproof serving dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Serve with baked potatoes.